ASTM NCATT Certification Information
ATTENTION! ALL ASTM NCATT CERTIFICATIONS NOW HAVE A FIVE YEAR EXPIRATION. PLEASE READ THIS DOCUMENT FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Verification of Contact Information
To assure ASTM NCATT-certified technicians remain competent in their area of certification, a process has been established to collect data, on a periodic basis that they remain engaged in the occupation either through active employment in the field or as educators.
For those certifications issued prior to January 1, 2022, the certifications will remain valid until January 1, 2027 when they will need to be renewed, if verification of contact information is provided to the certification administrator, SpaceTEC Partners, Inc. To read more about this, click here. To download the form, click here.
- In 2014, ASTM International absorbed the aviation technician certification products that the National Center for Aerospace and Transportation Technologies developed with multiple ATE project grants.
- ASTM F46 committee (Aerospace Personnel) assumed oversight for NCATT programs.
- ASTM technical committee F46 on Aerospace Personnel currently supports the technical standards development which updates and maintains the ASTM NCATT certification program. Please visit the F46 Aerospace Personnel website for more information on standards work, meetings, contact information and how to get involved.
- In May 2017 an agreement was formalized by ASTM and SpaceTEC Partners, Inc. for SPI to become the administrator for all ASTM NCATT written exams in addition to its other job-oriented knowledge and practical-skill certification examinations. SPI also processes applications from schools and industry training providers for ASTM NCATT Training Provider accreditation
- ASTM NCATT certifications are an industry defined mechanism to identify professionals who demonstrate their knowledge through testing and commit themselves to the aerospace industry. Associations and professionals across every industry use these certifications to recognize qualified and competent individuals.
Aircraft Electronics Technician (To purchase the AET Standard, please go to this link.)
- The AET has 90 questions. The passing score is 73%.
- Practical Skills Certificates are offered in conjunction with the AET exam. Go to this link to learn more about them.
- Note: This standard has been updated. Please go to this link to read more about it.
- A study guide is available for the AET Exam. Go to this link to download.
- Aircraft Electronics Installation (AEIT)
- AEIT has 106 questions on the exam and the passing score is 70%.
- To purchase the AEIT Standard, please go to this link.
- Autonomous Navigation Systems (ANS)
- ANS has 50 questions on the exam and the passing score is 70%.
- Dependent Navigation Systems (DNS)
- DNS has 50 questions on the exam and the passing score is 70%.
- Onboard Communications and Safety Systems (OCS)
- OCS has 50 questions on the exam and the passing score is 70%.
- Radio Communication Systems (RCS)
- RCS has 50 questions on the exam and the passing score is 70%.
Note: Candidate must successfully pass the AET before being eligible to take endorsements
Other ASTM NCATT exams:
- Foreign Object Elimination (To purchase the FOE Standard, please go to this link)
- The FOE has 80 questions. The passing score is 83%.
- To download a study guide, click here.
- Aerospace Aircraft Assembly (AAA)
- The AAA has 100 questions. The passing score is 70%.
- Unmanned Aircraft System Maintenance (UAS)
- The UAS has 150 questions. The passing score is 70%.
- This certification is currently under review.
- Business Aviation Cabin Crew (BACC)
- The Business Aviation Cabin Crew certification challenges the candidate to demonstrate their knowledge of and skills in aircraft safety procedures, as well as professionalism, discretion and cabin service safety that exceeds regulatory requirements, for ensuring the comfort and safety of both domestic and international passengers. Click here to view the competencies for the certification. The following are the requirements to be eligible to take the certification:
- Letter of recommendation from someone in the industry
- Proof of completion of a flight attendant initial safety training course
- The BACC has 170 questions. The passing score is 78%.
ASTM Nanotechnology exams:
- ASTM International Workforce Certificate for Health and Safety in Nanotechnology
- ASTM International Workforce Certificate for Nanotechnology Characterization
- ASTM International Workforce Certificate for Nanotechnology Workforce Fabrication and Related Infrastructure
For information on exam fees, click here.
Testing Center Locations
To find a testing center near you, contact CTS staff to find out how to take an exam in your area.
Remote proctoring is an option for taking any exams. A computer with a webcam and microphone is required.
Contact CTS staff to find out more about this option.
To become a SpaceTEC Partners, Inc testing center, contact CTS staff. By becoming a SPI Testing Center, you will be able to administer ASTM NCATT exams at your school or facility, if approved.
ASTM NCATT Approved Training Providers are school houses/training centers that are in a fixed location and offer training programs that meet and/or exceed the ASTM NCATT standards. These providers have demonstrated a commitment to quality and must apply for approval and undergo an in-depth curriculum, facilities, and faculty evaluation in order to be considered an Approved Training Provider.
There is a $750.00 application fee to become an ASTM NCATT Approved Training Provider.
Approved Training Providers curriculum must be reviewed through a new application every 2 years. The renewal application fee is $250.00.
If you are interested in becoming an ASTM NCATT Approved Training Provider, please contact CTS staff.
As of January 1, 2022, all ASTM NCATT certifications have a five-year renewal. To read more about this new policy please go to this link.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to take the ASTM NCATT Certification exams? The ASTM NCATT certification exams are open to all individuals regardless of age, career field, training, education or experience.
Where do I take an ASTM NCATT certification exam? To find a testing center or learn about remote proctoring contact Carolyn Parise by phone at (321) 567-5193 or email email@example.com.
How much is the exam fee? See Exam Fee section above as fees vary depending on exam.
How many times can I take the exam in order to pass? There are no limitations on the number of times an individual may take an ASTM NCATT Certification examination. An exam fee is required for all retakes.
What do I need to score in order to pass the AET certification exam? The passing score for the ASTM NCATT AET certification examination is 73%.
What happens if I score below the passing grade? In order to retake an exam, the test taker will have to pay another exam fee.
When I pass the AET how soon can I take an endorsement exam? You can take an endorsement as soon as you pass the AET.
How often must I renew my ASTM NCATT certifications? The ASTM NCATT certifications are renewed every 5 years.
For more information about these certifications, contact CTS staff.